Let’s face it: even as adults, it can be hard to stay on top of our oral care routine. Now, remember how hard it was to see the “bigger picture” of it all as a kid?
Think back to the days when you would ask yourself (or complain to your parents), “What’s the purpose of all of this? Why the heck do I have to brush my teeth twice every single day?!”
We want to help you make your kids oral care routine fun and enjoyable. We want them (and you) to see it as an opportunity to bond and nurture long-term holistic health day in and day out.
To help with this, we put together our top five tips for becoming your childrens oral health role model, so they can look up to you for healthy habits, amazing products, and effective routines that they can maintain for years to come.
1: optimize + stay consistent with your own oral care routine
Are you modeling an optimal oral care routine in front of your little one? You’ve heard the saying “monkey see, monkey do,” so let’s put that in the context of oral health! To brush up on the basics, here’s an overview of some of our favorite oral care habits.
- Floss (at least) once daily. If once, do it at night.
- Brush (at least) twice daily for 2 minutes with Davids natural toothpaste
- Tongue scrape (at least) once daily with the Davids tongue scraper. If once, do it at night.
- Swish with a natural mouthwash or herbal oil pull weekly.
- To keep your mouth fresh after meals, use a natural superfood breath spray.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups and professional cleanings every 6 months!
2: make it fun
We know, this one is easier said than done.
We encourage you to dream up new ways to make your kids oral care routine fun for the whole family. Can you pick a new 2-minute song each week to time the brushing? Can you buy fun colors of floss? Can you make it a family bonding activity by gathering in the bathroom? Can you think of a new game to play before, during, or after the brushing? Can you choose a delicious toothpaste flavor, like Davids strawberry + watermelon?
Childrens oral health doesn’t have to be a chore. If you approach it like a fun event that brings you a lot of gratitude and joy, your little one is more likely to embrace that energy and feel more excited about it.
3: choose mouth (and gut) healthy foods
Nutrition (in the context of oral health) is one of our favorite things to talk about! We have so many resources outlining mouth-and-gut-healthy foods, here are a few of them.
- the importance of nutrition for dental health
- our top five tips for nurturing your mouth-gut connection as a vegan
- the best and worst foods for dry mouth and how Davids can help
In general, we recommend a diet that’s rich in whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and diary. Ensure that these whole foods are providing enough fiber, protein, and calcium to support healthy bones and teeth for yourself and your little one. Last but not least, always remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! This is an essential step in preventing dry mouth and allowing your body to function effectively throughout the day.
4: emphasize that oral care enhances overall health
It’s no secret that kids love to ask “why.” Does this conversation sound familiar?
Now, this can be hard to explain to your little one, so we recommend creating a relatable comparison (based on their unique interests) to explain the importance of kids oral care. We’ve listed a few examples below.
- Each planet in our solar system plays a role in maintaining balance, just like oral care plays a crucial role in maintaining balance in your health.
- Even tiny pollinators (like bees!) play a huge role in keeping our plants and ecosystems healthy. Tiny, everyday oral care habits play a massive role in keeping our bodies healthy.
- Just like bees, tiny (even microscopic) plankton species in the ocean are the base of the food chain, keeping ecosystems in balance and converting carbon dioxide into the oxygen we can breathe. They might be small (just like oral care habits may seem), but they’re mighty.
5: stock up on the best natural toothpaste for kids
Our kids + adults premium toothpaste is the best natural toothpaste for kids because…
- it comes in a natural, mouthwatering strawberry watermelon flavor
- it uses 98% usa-origin ingredients
- it works hard to naturally whiten and clean your (and your little one’s) teeth
- it avoids controversial conventional ingredients such as fluoride and sls
We’re proud to provide you with kids toothpaste without fluoride. You won’t find a poison control warning label on our kids toothpaste, and you never have to worry about your little one swallowing too much of it. Not to mention, our natural toothpaste is always packaged in aluminum (with a food-grade liner). So you don’t have to worry about plastic chemicals leaching into it, and you can smile brighter knowing you’re not contributing to the 1.5 billion toothpaste tubes that end up in landfills every year across the globe.
In other words, our kids + adults premium toothpaste is sustainable, safe to swallow, naturally effective, and undeniably delicious. What more could you ask for?